You’ve probably wondered at some point in life where movie theaters hide their speakers. Well, such modern equipment is naturally made to fit into unseen spots within the theatre hall. That’s perhaps also the key quality audiophiles check when we refer to the best in-wall speakers.
The wall mounted speakers are very popular nowadays. Excellent acoustic sound and straightforward installation can be a reason for traditional “box-shaped” speakers replacement. They don’t occupy a lot of space and fit into every interior due to their unremarkable appearance. Their working principle is similar to usual speakers, however, they can be mounted into the wall. a
If you’re one such curious folk and want to experience great music but hate bulky eyesore speakers, then you’re in the right place. So many speakers exist – from mono to di and tri speakers. You could also have them with extra accessories like Bluetooth. Good news is the In-wall speakers can be discreetly tucked away without taking up any visible space. With that said, below are some of the best in-wall speakers that you should look on before purchasing. Stay with me as I take on a tour through a simple buyer’s guide on-wall mounted speakers.
In-Wall Speakers Reviews
Starting off the list are the rather famous sets of speakers by Polk Audio. So, what makes them great? First off, the woofer is the Polk dynamic balance type that has been around for decades. They’re used as both in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and have good sound quality. Also, they literally go with every part of most homes and even when you put them in certain places – like the bathroom, hallway, kitchen, or if you want to set up a home theater with in-ceiling speakers. I’d say the reason these Polk in-wall speakers fit into such spaces is that they have a rubber seal which confers moisture-resistant abilities on them. You could also install them outdoors where there may be the possibility of fog or rain seeping in. Still, you need not worry about their performance whether there’s a pour or a tiny leak where you sit them in. In the central part, you have the tweeter which is a metalized soft dome-shaped element. The tweeter keeps the sound production rich and subtle.
The Polk Audio RC85i is also flexible which means no matter where they are stuck into, you can aim for the speakers in between tweeter in order to have the sound targeted right at your listening direction. It’s available as a 5 ¾, 6 ½, and 8-inch version. The speaker dimensions are 10.1 x 3.5 x 14.2 inches and 5.5 pounds.
- Even at low volumes, it gives a full bass.
- You can customize the grills with paints or glitters.
- Pretty durable.
- They have a lifetime warranty on them.
- Mounting clips seem to give up all too easily.
- More expensive than you may want.
Video Polk Audio RC85i
The Polk Audio 265RT boasts a durable build which allows it to outlast most other options in its price range. With a rectangular shape, it has a built-in base venting system capable of replicating the sound of floor units. It comes as a single speaker that’s priced and sold as a unit. The sound is clear and crisp The overall frequency response is 30 Hz – 27 kHz while the upper/lower – 3dB limit is about 45 Hz to 25 kHz. The speakers’ finish suits places of high-end designs creating just the right blend of colors and shades. It’s probably for people who appreciate minimalist ideas since it takes up very little ceiling space. You also get the rotating cam system that instills a rather calming and vibration-free effect.
Other features that make this in-wall speaker for home theater worth a try include two 6.5-inch woofers, distance toggle, and a dome-shaped tweeter that stands in the middle. The manufacturers of this product earn a ‘thumbs up’ when you consider how easy it is to install. They weigh about 8.1 pounds with 23 x 10.8 x 12.8 inches in size. It comes with a built-in switch which adds more convenience to its usage.
- Balanced audio levels.
- Great value for the cost.
- Speakers have a great vanishing effect.
- Reliable for long use.
- It lacks an enclosure on the rim.
- May be less for bass lovers. You need a subwoofer to boost the bass power.
Video Polk Audio 265-RT
These are white colored indoor speakers that you can enjoy music from. The sound of this simple in-wall center channel speaker is clear. Its magnetic thin grille projects a mere 7 mm from the wall and helps impede sound to much more comfortable levels. The set is tinted to match your decor and blend right into its surroundings. It features light reflective room compensation and power port basement in guaranteeing crystal-clear audio with deep punchy bass. The vanishing series center channel anchors the action without drawing attention. It has dual band pass ports which work more effectively in enclosed places. A rubber surround is present to ensure long-lasting use. This option should be considered by those who want to spend less. It’s assembled together with dual woofers of 5.25 inches and has 1 dynamic balance. The Polk 255c dimensions include 9.8 x 14.8 x 9.3 inches and 6.6 pounds while the frequency of response is 30 Hz – 27 Hz. With curved edges and portable size, it basically tucks away invisibly into the wall when mounted.
- Free shipping offer.
- It comes with 2 bass ports.
- With curved edges and portable size, it becomes invisible.
- The tweeter appears to be unidirectional.
- Only 30 days to return even if the item was already damaged, so it needs to be checked immediately.
Video Audio 255c-RT
As far as intimidating JBL speakers go, these take the upper hand as there are up to 16 screw holes in front. So, it kind of gives an impression of riddled bullets all over the face having several holes on it. These JBL wall mount speakers are slim multi-channeled pieces and portray a contemporary cabinet shape. You can understand what they meant to go on the wall just by looking at the shape. The body is made of the rubberized coating. The paper driver is ridged just like the old school JBLs used to have with the bigger models. It has a sloped top which I find interesting because when it’s turned upside down, you form an arc with it. There are no bass ports at the back, just mounts for hanging it from the screw hole. The is completely milli port sealed 5 ¾ thin wave guide. They actually work better when combined with full-range JBL speakers and two of each (upright, bookshelf, central, and subwoofer speakers). The response frequency stretches to 100 Hz – 40 kHz which means they have an ultrasonic spectrum much higher than those of simple speakers. In order to power it effectively, you’ll an amplifier of at least 20 to 100W. The Arena B15 has the following dimensions: 8.6 x 18.5 x 16.5 inches and 17.42 pounds.
- No brainer with the installation.
- Does not take up much space.
- Available in multiple colors.
- Absence of full bass.
Video JBL Arena B15
Without a strong loudspeaker, any home could easily feel empty on sound. The great cinematic experience is provided by the JBL SP6II loudspeaker. It serves dual purposes as both an in-wall speaker and an in-ceiling type. The tweeter is titanium and does well with fortifying the sound levels into what’s convenient for the average user. The titanium laminate cone woofer with rubber surrounds means less vibration too.
Maybe this is one of the better accompanying home theater speakers you will ever use. These in-wall surround sound speakers offer high frequency, decreased distortion, and improved frequency response. This speaker has a few loopholes of performance, but all-in-all this works fine. Not only that, this JBL laundry speaker also delivers clear cut high-frequency sound through its pivotal tweeter, it gives off lower-frequency cone woofer of 6.5 inches. Besides, speakers themselves are not so big (9.7 x 7.1 x 3.9 inches and 10 pounds).
- Suits not big rooms or halls where you need sound filling.
- Simple design that goes with different settings.
- Extremely easy setup.
- Sound distorts at low volumes.
- They don’t make good main speakers. Better to use them as a backup.
Video JBL SP6II
These Surround Stereo Speakers are equipped with multiple features. Their low price tag makes this one of the most affordable you can get. The Bose in-wall speakers are built of high sound quality materials and arrive with a basic design that suits nearly any setting. Without a high cost, it offers everything you need. For me, this is a genuine bonus. It provides quite good quality of the sound. It’s something that requires experience for full comprehension of how good it is. They’re great for playing music from duets to even orchestras. Nevertheless, the consistency of the wall mounts provided was one downside. I strongly believe Bose used wall mounts of third parties for the 161. The consistency of the wire connectors was even more important to me. They’ve been a bit hard to use. These problems, however, were minor, given the price of the speakers. You may install or place them onto a shelf or the wall. But check the dimensions in advance (the system size is 5 x 11 x 4.2 inches and 8.5 pounds).
- Compatible with many devices.
- Includes wall brackets and magnetic shields to increase its durability.
- All dialogs are clear and the special effect sounds are as good as in the movie theater.
- General features are of poor quality. Maybe because there’s just so much (many features) going on in just one system.
- Weak bass.
Video Bose 161
The Yamaha in-wall speakers manufacturers might be more popular for their musical instruments, but they also make mean speakers as well. This comes as a single speaker rather than a pair, but there’s more to check out so, let’s move quickly. The item dimensions are 23.5 x 7.7 x 3.2 inches and 5.1 pounds. There are two 6.5-inch woofers in this speaker made of rubber and polypropylene which keeps your sound from being distorted. This remains so no matter how high you crank up the volume of this thing. There’s also this a 1-inch soft dome tweeter in between both woofers. Aside from its practical function, this also makes the speaker quite aesthetic. And if you want, you could even decide to take off the mesh grille altogether. Installing this can go either horizontally or vertically. However, it’s far easier to install this vertically. Plus, with its frequency range, this gives you real balanced audio with the highs and lows duly covered. And although it works great as a center speaker for a 7.1 setup, this also works for the left and right channels. So, to install any of them, make sure you keep them at least 6 feet apart for a sound boost.
- Efficient as both a center speaker and left/right.
- This in-wall speakers system comes with a subwoofer – no need to pay more for it.
- The sound is quite loud and clear.
- Bass quality could be better.
- Installing this horizontally would require a bit more complex technicalities to make it work.
Video Yamaha NS-IW760
This is another game-changer speaker manufactured by Pyle I couldn’t afford to miss in our compilation. These Bluetooth-powered devices can be easily paired with any device and hardly occupies any space on the floor or the shelves. Accessories such as speaker connection wires, Bluetooth controller, and power supply, which Pyle provides, helps manage the job in a DIY mode. Most importantly, Pyle’s 8-inch Bluetooth wall speakers are equally capable of significant digital amplification, thanks to its 4-channel sound processing power. The Pyle offers entry-level sound at a price to match. Inside the package are a 6.5-inch woofer and a ½-inch tweeter which are plenty for installations that are good for occasional, ambient listening. The product dimensions are 9.5 x 8 x 10 inches and 3.3 pounds. These no-frills speakers come with an easy to install spring-loaded clip installation, making them great for quick replacements. Wiring is also convenient thanks to the speaker’s push-in terminals, making the complete process virtually tool-free.
- Extremely easy to mount.
- Warranty is fairly present but also negotiable.
- The most lightweight item on our list.
- Lack of design versatility.
- Stops working after a while.
- Relatively poor sound quality.
Video Pyle Pair 6.5”
What Type of Speakers do I Need?
Now, you’re aware of the different models of in-wall speakers, however, a few things like the exact type to buy still confuse you, start here to grasp the differences between speaker types.
- Surround sound speakers. In-wall surround sound speakers offer a more practical listening experience with the right or left outlets. Many systems have a tweeter which sends audio both the left and right, while others are assisted by separate channel speakers.
- Centre sound speakers. An in-wall surround centre channel speaker is typically equipped with a center speaker under a video display. This speaker has a tweeter with a medium range that enhances audio reception in the entire room. The center speaker basically pushes out a sound that has to be heard clearly with sound effects (e.g. dialogs in movies).
- Bluetooth speakers. This kind of speakers allows you to connect seamlessly to other devices. It can be very expensive to get an electrician to mount one, but you can save some money and install them by yourself with a guide.
- Home theatre. In-wall speaker for the home theatre is a simple option you can mount into the wall. They not only bring to your entire sound system a touch of professional style but also make for an interactive and generally hyped experience.
In-Wall Speakers Features
Begin by figuring out how in-wall speakers are properly installed inside the wall if you are going to place them in your house. Sealed devices may be the most reasonable to opt for as they give the strongest sound reproduction ever. Other points to then consider include:
- Price: Speakers that are mounted on the wall normally have tagged prices from $150 to as much as $5000 depending on what you want. Bear in mind that there may be installation charges if you’re not putting the on by yourself.
- Range of sound: Measure this by Frequency (Hz). It tells you how far sounds from a speaker can travel. Seek one that ripples as much sound as possible and still balances. For instance, 40 Hz would generate a sound that is more balanced than a 55 Hz speaker.
- Amplifying capacity: It includes how well the amplifier will be managed by the user. When the frequency rises, the speaker also goes before the amp becomes stressed. This acts as low-key protection for the in-wall speakers’ system.
- Number: As you’re in the know, speakers go from mono and double to tri and so on. The numbers are independent of the price.
- Color, size, and shape: These are definitely flexible characteristics to estimate. What you have to be sure of are the space of the living room, shape of the walls, and blend of colors. As long as they are all in tune, you can go on with the ideal match of wall mount speakers.
How to Install an In-Wall Speaker?
Just got your set or are about to? Take or study these easy wall speaker mounting
- Choose the area you want to install the speaker. Measure 38 to 40 inches from the floor. Drill a ¼ inch hole and clear out any wall obstacles. Try to drive in a cloth hanger at 90 degrees to see if it will go through.
- Choose a cut-out template and hole. The majority of these sets come with wall speakers mounts, so, you may only need to cut holes for that. Use a dry saw and cut the corners of the marked areas. Drill about ½ inch hole on the sides of the template.
- Install the speaker wire. The areas you need to run wires include overhead, behind the baseboard laterally, on the floor and across the wall. Also, run wires to the speakers.
- Install the speakers. Connect the wires and the speakers. Place the speakers into the cut holes and clamp them using the provided wall clamps.