Only a few people are pleased to wake up to the loud squeal of an alarm clock. If you use a smartphone or tablet, it’s possible to put your favorite song as an alarm call, but there is a chance to hate it in a week. The best clock radio becomes the most useful solution here that will allow you to wake up to your preferred radio station or standard signal.
Moreover, certain digital alarm clock radio models can wake you up at one time, and other family members – at another. Some manufacturers produce the device with a special sleep timer that lets turn on pleasant music to help fall asleep.
The specified units can perform different functions (be the charger to the phone, be a room thermometer, work as radio, and be simple clock) and it won’t allow you to oversleep for work or an important event. If you have decided to purchase the mentioned device, let’s make acquaintance with decent models checking their pros and cons.
Clock Radio Reviews
If you are looking for a proficient dual alarm clock radio, then you should get to know better the multifunctional device iHome IBT29 that is suitable for desktop or bed cabinet and does not take up much space. It is supplemented with body illumination. You can choose the color mode that you like or turn on the ripple to the beat of the sounding tracks. A backlight, which also plays the role of a night light, is located on the front panel. The user can select any glow color and adjust its brightness. It has Bluetooth and allows you to establish a wireless connection between various Bluetooth devices and play music from smartphones or tablets. The stereo effect is achieved due to two speakers. Moreover, the case is provided with a special cavity resonator that makes the sound deep and allows this compact device (13 x 10.3 x 6.5 inches) to issue impressive bass. I’m pleased with the presence of a backup battery in the device (the clock will continue to work if the power is cut and the alarm clocks will not be reset).
- It has a large display with good readable numbers.
- There’s an FM radio with precise digital tuning saving six stations.
- You can choose for an alarm sound a standard electronic sound, music from a connected device, or the favorite FM-station.
- There are a lot of tiny buttons on the body frame, which can be hardly reached (especially the morning after awakening).
- The sleep timer doesn’t influence on the lights dimming, so the numbers on the display don’t change their brightness and create uncomfortable feelings.
- It takes nearly 30 seconds to connect to the Bluetooth.
The device is compact and doesn’t take much space on the shelf. The unit’s blue display is large, so the time figures are greatly visible. There are rubber legs that don’t allow the unit to slip on the surface. The Magnasonic product demonstrates not only the time but also the data and temperature (the displayed information is almost the same as the classic thermometer shows). This Amazon alarm clock is equipped not only with a radio but also with a USB port, which allows charging a mobile device, such as a smartphone. Here you can set the time after which the radio will automatically turn off (this is a useful feature for better sleeping). Remember that the last station you listened to will be launched the next morning (according to the settings) and you have to turn it off manually. Use the shortcut keys to turn the alarm off and on.
- If a power outage occurs, the model saves time and all the settings.
- There are three intensity modes in the device, and the owner can adjust the brightness, depending on the time of day.
- There’s a possibility to focus and angle the ceiling projector.
- Even the lowest volume setting is too loud for the morning and it may be irritating for some people.
- There are too many confusing buttons on the body frame, so I have to check the manual all the time in order to remember what are they for.
The Mesqool unit has a classic design as it is supplemented with a slightly curved and glossy front side. The backside of the case is made of matte plastic. A snooze button is rather small and it looks much smaller when the user is half asleep. Moreover, the device has a lot of buttons on the body frame and all of them are located close to each other, so it’s easy to miss out and press the wrong one. It has gradually increasing volume of the alarm clock, digital tuning, an AM/FM radio, a sleep timer, and the option of battery backup. The 180-degree projector works seamlessly and displays the information correctly on the wall in various angles. Three light dimming settings are enough to choose a decent variant for everyone. Sleep mode allows setting auto power off. This is very useful when you fall asleep while listening to the radio. On the back of the Mesqool clock, there is a USB port that is used to charge mobile devices. All you have to do is connect the radio alarm clock to your smartphone using a suitable USB cable and the charging will begin. This model isn’t probably the best clock radio, but it has useful functions and can become one of the most helpful elements in the room.
- I really like that projection is adjustable and it’s possible to control the focus level.
- Large red numbers are visible from different sides of even big room.
- It gradually increases the sound and enhances the brightness of the lighting.
- The rear speaker is very small, so it’s hard to listen to music normally.
- Projection doesn’t have enough brightness to see the information on a sunny day.
The ANJANK product is made as a small rectangle device with a black matte design. Its screen looks decent; the numbers are large and clear, without flickering. There’s no need to press tricky button combinations to get to the settings, controls are on the surface. All the backlights have a pleasant turquoise color and the screen itself contains information about the time, settings for several alarms, air temperature in the room, and the selected radio frequency. On the back of the case, there is a standard USB connector, which can be used to recharge the vast majority of mobile devices. All you need is a cord with an appropriate connector. The sound quality is mediocre but enough for listening to the radio in the background and doing your business. The specified unit doesn’t belong to the best clock radios, but its features satisfy most customer’s requirements.
- It has three alarm settings, so the user can choose the time for the weekend and weekdays wakening.
- You can push any button to make the alarm silent.
- The dimmer has five modes so everyone can choose the most appropriate.
- The unit is too compact (3.9 x 3.2 x 2.4 inches), so it can easily fall down and become out of order (the body frame is made of plastic).
- There’s no “low battery” indicator, and such a feature would be useful.
The unit is completed by a good indicator with the optimal size of the digits and a pleasant orange-yellow backlight with three levels of brightness. It can be seen from anywhere in the room and it’s pleasant-to-eye even in the dark. The alarm signal itself is nice and gradually increases in volume and repetition rate. I like that you can set the radio as an alarm. There is a timer to turn off – 15/30/60/90 minutes. Pay attention that radio (alarm) turns on at the volume that was set during the previous usage. If you fall asleep to a quiet sound, there is a chance that you won’t wake up quickly the next morning because of a low volume. This Sony alarm clock radio requires a constant power connection but comes with a backup battery that can be regarded as a pleasant bonus.
- Analog wheels for tuning the radio and volume are comfortable and look like a nostalgia, especially after the modern push-button adjustments.
- Time is in 24-hour format; date number/month/year indications are also present.
- There’s a separate button for the summer time manual transition.
- The speaker in the radio clock always works and often picks up all the smartphone interference. This unpleasant phenomenon occurs even when the radio is turned off.
- It loses all the settings when the power is cut.
Some people may perceive the DreamSky product as the best radio alarm clock because the unit is small, has a few buttons, and seamlessly performs its basic functions. In fact, the device has a big screen with greatly visible figures. The temperature in the room, the time set for alarm, whether the radio is turned on or off, and, of course, the basic time figures are reflected there. The preferred alarm starts with a gradual increasing in the volume level and makes this slow, so you don’t have to jump up from fright in the morning. The DreamSky is corded, so it’s better to hide the wires, in order not to spoil the room’s interior. The adjustment is a simple process; you should only read attentively the manual and follow the instructions as there’s no auto set. Pay attention that the radio works well but you have to move around the house in order to find the perfect spot because the signal sometimes can be lost. There’s a USB for smartphone charging and such a feature works well.
- The screen brightness is fully adjustable (you can even turn it off).
- It’s lightweight (13.4 ounces) and can be placed anywhere in a room.
- There are no preset stations, but it can be fixed in a few minutes by following the manual.
- The USB cord unplugs for no reason.
- I can’t change the snooze interval. It’s set only at 9 minutes.
The HoMedics small device will look good in the interior – the white color of the body frame can fit almost any interior. Large numbers stand out with a backlight that can be adjusted. It is convenient to take the device with you on the road due to its small dimensions. The battery backup presence is a pleasant bonus, as there’s no need to worry about the possibility to miss the alarm because of the power cut. The HoMedics manufacturers added to the unit a projector that isn’t perfect but may be enough by some owners. You have the possibility to set a dual alarm for yourself and your partner and such a peculiarity really works. The device uses the white noise, so the person won’t wake up in the middle of the night caused by the undesired noise disturbances.
- I like the convenient control and arrangement of buttons; they are clearly pressed without jamming.
- The clock alarm contains eight sounds of nature (campfire is very relaxing). It has to ease even hard awakening in the early morning.
- The signal reception quality is good, the speaker does not wheeze.
- The ceiling projector light is too bright.
- The projection is able to move only forward and backward.
Radio Controlled Clocks Setup
It’s almost impossible to find out the right alarm clock settings, but if you are wondering how to set a radio controlled clock, let’s get acquainted with the most widespread adjusting manipulations.
- Insert only a fully charged battery into the device or simply connect to the power source.
- Press the required button in order to choose a convenient time zone. The clock has to perform self-adjusting during the night.
- If such an automatic setting appeared to be a failure, it’s better to perform the manual procedure (push the flap next to the battery and hold until the required time reaching).
- Give the product one more chance and place it again next to the window for a night (it will help to receive the WWVB signal and successfully set itself). Don’t forget to switch off the manual mode flap.
Be sure to check the instruction and follow the described procedure. The above-mentioned information is not an omni-purpose guide because each clock manufacturer has its own peculiarities and technological characteristics. It’s better to locate the clock next to the window and at least 6 feet from PC, TVs, conditioners and other facilities that can become the hindrance. Pay attention that WWVB signal can be interfered with heavy weather conditions, so maybe it’s better to repeat all the adjustments after situation normalization.
What to Look for in an Alarm Clock Radio?
It’s important to find the basic factors, which influence the potential alarm clock user’s choice and here are the following moments.
- Type. First of all, you have to pick up the type of alarm clock, as there are multi-user units, models for children or elderly people. Each representative kind has its own features, design, and other peculiarities, which can become useful in a particular context.
- Design. It’s better to choose the pleasant-to-eye unit that you are going to be happy looking at in the mornings. The beautiful things appearance in the field of view significantly raises the mood. Choose the color for your room and find the location place.
- Screen. It has to be big enough to see the time even in the dark and you should choose the comfortable for eyes inscription color (the time and other information reflecting).
- Features. Designate for those options that are important and build on them when choosing because the price depends on the number of device’s possibilities. For example, if you are going to use it as a charging device, choose the unit with the USB connector.
- Sound quality. The speaker’s size helps find out the sound quality. The music should have a pleasant sounding and don’t be annoying, otherwise, every morning will begin with negative emotions. The built-in CD players or iPod connectivity are able to provide the unit with improved and enjoyable sound.
The brand also matters as the company’s popularity and the need to sustain a positive brand image promote the use of high-quality components that meet current safety and practical requirements.
Alarm Clock Benefits
Indeed, the first thing to understand is why some people want to buy an alarm clock radio. Well, there are many reasons.
- Someone likes to wake up to the songs and music that their favorite radio station twists.
- Some just want to keep up with the times.
- Other people love music and minimalism; he/she just doesn’t want to buy both a clock and a radio, preferring to choose a clock radio.
- There are also people whom a simple smartphone alarm cannot wake up (the sound may be too calm, quiet, and slumberous).
- Some workaholics wake up for several months to the same tune, these people just get used to it and begin to ignore it on a subconscious level. As a result, they need a worthy substitution with a fresh sound.
- The numbers on the clock’s scoreboard are displayed in contrast colors, which are perfectly visible in the dark.
- Some people like the projection mode – the time is projected onto the nearest wall, which looks very unusual and modern.
- Power can come from either the mains or the batteries, which is very convenient.
- Definite models have a built-in temperature sensor, so you will always know what the temperature is in the room.
- The sleep and snooze functions are pleasant bonuses, as you can relax a little bit in the morning, knowing that the clock radio alarm will work in a few minutes.
- Vibrating feature presence is a good decision for those ones who cannot force themselves to get out of bed.
Hi everyone! I’m Thomas Moody, also known as Guitarzan.
All my life, the guitar has always been my real love. I played as a featured guitarist in several bands over the years.
My extensive experience of teaching lessons and blogging taught me to write useful texts. I tried to keep as many notes about musical instruments as possible. So stay tuned—new articles are coming.